Don't Let Dust Collect Your Old Books
Support Central South Carolina Habitat for Humanity ReStore in its “Books 2 Bricks” drive. Books donated to the ReStore are tax deductable and help Habitat for Humanity “Eliminate Poverty Housing”.
Plan a Book Drive
Get your school, business, organization or community involved. Book drives are a simple, fun way to support Habitat for Humanity. The Books 2 Bricks Campaign allows people of all walks and all ages to participate. We are looking for your books, your neighbors, and your communities, so get involved!
Most any type of book in good, sellable condition can be donated (dust jacket intact, no staining, yellowing or water damage please.)
Fiction, non-fiction, paperback, hard cover, and educational books are welcome. We even take books on tape and CD.
No dictionaries or encyclopedias please!
Campaigning - Advertise Your Book Drive!
Here are some ideas to get the word out about your book drive to encourage others to participate:
- Identify a central, convenient area to collect the books
- Set Books 2 Bricks campaign end date
- Use a large container (barrel, box, or basket)
- Create an attractive display to explain the project and Habitat for Humanity’s Mission
- Donations are tax deductible
- Use poster board and keep the display simple and attractive
- Outline the criteria for the books you are collecting
- Keep track of the books you collect. For example, post a “thermometer” next to the collection bin to show progress
- Publish an article about the project in your school or company newsletter, community newspaper, or with your social group
- Make it a competition between classes, offices, or organizations
Collect Your Books
The ultimate goal of each book drive is to collect new or gently used books. It has been our experience that everyone is willing to contribute but needs frequent encouragement, a clear understanding of the mission, and the benefits of their donation.
Please try to discourage individuals from donating books with mildew, torn pages, handwriting or highlighting, magazines, Reader's Digest Condensed books, dictionaries, encyclopedias, other reference books with outdated information
Get the Books Back to Habitat for Humanity ReStore
Once the drive is over, it is requested that the books be delivered to the Central South Carolina Habitat for Humanity ReStore located at:
483 Sunset Blvd West Columbia, SC 29169
Donations that are too large for delivery are eligible for a pickup but must be coordinated ahead of time
Contact Emily Fernald at
or (803) 726.9105 for more information before beginning your Campaign!